Member News -- Spring, 1999
Select from the list below
or scroll down the page.
Tommy Joe Anderson:
- Nov. 16 - Dreams for Tenor and Orchestra, Op. 31 was premiered by the DeKalb Symphony Orchestra with tenor Sam Hagan and the composer as conductor at DeKalb College.
- Sept. 26 - Psalm 100 by Rita Baretta (sop) and Elaine Moss (pno) on the Wisconsin Alliance of Composers Fall Concert, Union Congregational Church, Green Bay, WI. On the same day, "Jazzy" from Three Preludes by the Sinfonietta String Quartet on a Louisiana Sinfonietta Solo Series concert, Lake Sherwood Village, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Nov. 6 - Faith by the Valdosta Symphony Orchestra String Quartet (Nina Lutz, Matson Topper, vlns; Karin Addis, vla; Steve Taylor, vcl) at the SCI Region IV Conference, Valdosta State University, Valdosta, GA. Repeated Nov. 13 by the same group on a VSU Faculty Recital, Valdosta, GA.
- Dec. 6 - To an Unborn Soul (fl, pno), "Stone" Sonata (pno), The Carpenter-Wood Rag (clar, pno), Serenade for Two (trb, pno) and Three Little Pieces for Piano on a Reading Session by various artists and pianist Carson Cooman, Rochester, NY.
- Dec. 7 - Psalm 100 and In My Father's Arms by Alexandria Beaudry (sop) and Charles Jones (pno) on the Festival of Lessons & Carols, Trinity Episcopal Church, Natchitoches, LA.
- Dec. 10 - Three Preludes (Jazz Quartet) by the LSNME String Quartet on a Louisiana Sinfonietta concert. Fairwood Country Club, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Jan. 10 - Ephesians 5:19 (organ) by Carson Cooman, Fifth Presbyterian Church, Rochester, NY. Repeat performance on Feb. 27 by Joan McConnell on a Southeastern Composers League Conference, McComas Theater, Mississippi State University, MS.
- Feb. 18 - Five Variations for Piano by Gary Wood at the College Music Society Southern Chapter Conference, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL.
- Feb. 24 - Three Little Pieces for Piano by Hailey Stevens on a Recital Hour, Bettersworth Auditorium, Mississippi State University, MS. Repeated Feb. 26 by the same performer at the Southeastern Composers League Conference, McComas Theater.
- Mar. 6 - Little Suite for Solo Violin by Jennifer Garner at the SCI Region VI Conference, Snow Fine Arts Center, University of Central Arkansas, Conway, AR.
- Mar. 21 - Reflections upon a Windowsill by Zendra White (flute) and the composer (pno) and the premiere of Étude on 3-Tones by White at a Louisiana School Composers and Friends concert, Angelle Hall, University of Southeastern Louisiana, Lafayettte, LA.
- Nov. 6 - Preludes for String Quartet by the Valdosta State University Players, SCI Region IV conference, Valdosta, GA.
- Dec. - Ballade for the Hellenic Land (vcl) by Marcel Spinei, 2 performances in Greece. In the same month, Midnight Fantasy III (sax, orch) by A. Zervas (sax) and the Athens Radio Orchestra, Greece.
- Dec. 3 - Ballade for John and Samantha (vln, autoharp) on a Mid- South NACUSA concert, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Jan. 13 - Mountains of Epirus (vln) by the composer, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Jan. 20 - Dedications for Sax Quartet by the Athens Sax Quartet, Athens, Greece. Repeated Jan. 31 in Chalkis, Greece.
- Jan. 24 - Premiere of Transformations (clar, cham orch) by the Louisiana SInfonietta, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Jan. 28 - Legend for Sax and Percussion at Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Canada.
- Feb. 26 - Rhapsody II (ob, pno) at the SCL Conference, Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS. Also on the same day, Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra and Dedications for Strings by the Craiova Philharmonic, Romania.
- Mar. 7 - Impressions III (clar) by Esther Lamneck, LSU, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Mar. 12 - Midnight Fantasy (orch) by the University of Hawaii Symphony, SCI Region VIII conference, Honolulu, HI.
- Mar. 17 - Brass Quintet by the LSU Faculty Brass Quintet, LSU, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Mar. 30 - Kaleidoscope for Solo Cello by Marcel Spinei in Bucharest, Romania.
- Jan. 1 - Doba Revisited, solo piano improvisation,
Changing Woman for flute, clarinet, bassoon and piano,
For Persons Out-Of-Time for two pianos, Summer Song for flute, oboe, clarinet, cello and piano,
No Time But To Sing, a tape piece for processed vocals, piano and crystal marimba,
Spirals, for trumpet, tenor saxophone, bongs and piano by various artists and the composer at the Palo Alto Art Center, Palo Alto, CA.
Nancy Bloomer Deussen:
- Dec. 11-13 - Premiere of the opera-theatre Billy and Zelda by the OperaDelaware, directed by Ben Levit with music direction by Alan Johnson.
- Jan. 24 - Trio for Violin, Clarinet and Piano by the American Chamber Ensemble, Massapequa Bar Library, New York.
- Jan. 29 - Woodwind Quintet by the Stanford Woodwind Quintet, Dinkelspiel Auditorium, Stanford University.
- Feb. 3 - Parisian Caper by SOUNDMOVES ensemble (clar, sax and pno) performed at University of Washington School of Music. Repeated Feb. 5 by the same ensemble at Western Washington University, Music Dept Concert Hall; on Mar. 13 & 20 at NACUSA concerts at Palo Alto Center for the Arts and Community Center of San Francisco.
- Feb. 17 - Pegasus Suite by flutist Janet Maestre at the Berkeley Piano Club, Berkeley, CA. Repeat performance on Mar. 3 at Musica Delle Donne, Hayward State University, Hayward, CA.
- Feb. 25 - The Voyage of Christopher Columbus by The Kenyon College Band at Mt. Vernon Nazarene College, R.R. Hodges Chapel, Mt. Vernon, OH. Repeated Mar. 28 by The Peninsula Community Band, Palo Alto, CA, directed by Dwight Hall.
- Mar. 4 - Ascent to Victory (cham orch)-performed by Hayward State University Symphony Orchestra conducted by Kirk E. Smith. Repeated Mar. 14 by the Cal State Hayward Orchestra conducted by Kirk Smith, All Saints Catholic Church, Hayward, CA.
- Mar. 24 - The San Andreas Suite by St. Luke's Chamber Ensemble, Dia Center for the Arts, New York City.
John N. Granet:
- Jan. 12 - Mosaic in Two Panels by the Chamber Orchestra Kremlin, Misha Rachlevsky, music dir, University of California, Santa Barbara Campbell Hall.
- Mar. 20 - Premiere of Shenanigans for Clarinet Trio at a Tampa Bay Composers Forum concert, directed by Peter Blauvelt, St. Petersburg Jr. College, FL.
Jacqueline Jeeyoung Kim:
- Oct. 30 - Symphonic Mobile II by the Pierce College Symphonic Band.
- Nov. 6 - Tous les matins ... on the Louisiana Sinfonietta Solo Series, with the composer as bass flute soloist, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Nov. 24 - Selections from Array performed at the University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI.
- Feb. - Equilibrium (cham orch) by the Seattle Creative Orchestra; At cold solstice (harp solo) on the contemporary music festival "Image" at University of Memphis.
- Oct. 17 - Premiere of Homeric Music (wind ens, narrator) by the Cuyahoga Community College Western Campus Wind Ensemble, John Vanesile, narr, the Campus Auditorium.
- Jan. 17 - The song cycle Blue Monday by baritone Andrew White and the composer (pno) at the Cleveland Museum of Art.
- Mar. 23 - Rhapsody Pathetique for Violin and Orchestra by the Budapest Festival Orchestra, Tamas Gal, cond, Zina Schiff, vln, at the Budapest Spring Festival, Hungary.
- Mar. 29 - Symphony for Strings by the Albuquerque Chamber Orchestra, David Oberg, cond, University of New Mexico.
- Mar. 30 - Grand Etude (pno) by the composer, University of New Mexico.
- Mar. 31 - Piano Concerto No. 2 by the Albuquerque Chamber Orchestra, the composer as soloist, University of New Mexico.
- Sep. 18 - Catalyst (cham ens) at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, the composer conducting.
- Jan. 16 - Six Miniatures for String Quartet by the FIU Graduate Quartet, the New Music Miami Festival, Florida International University.
- Feb. 5 - Four Miniatures for Flute and Piano at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.
- Oct. 23 - Let Freedom Ring (tape alone), Mid-South Chapter NACUSA Concert, LSU Recital Hall, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Oct. 31 - A Prayer for the Forgotten (sax quartet), SCI Region III conference, Christopher Newport University, Newport News, VA. Repeated Dec. 3 by the Red Stick Saxophone Quartet, Mid-South Chapter NACUSA Concert, the Baton Rouge Gallery, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Dec. 4 - Strata I (fl) by Anna Povich SCI Region II conference, SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY.
- Feb. 5 - Rush Hour (tenor sax, tape) by John Perrine (t. sax) at the North American Saxophone Alliance Region 6 Conference, The University of Georgia. Repeated Feb. 21 by Perrine on the 54th Festival of Contemporary Music, LSU School of Music Recital Hall, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Mar. 3 - Trio for Clarinet, Violin and Piano by the Titan Trio (William Powell, cl, Ernest Salem, vln, Cynthia Williams, pno) of 20th Century chamber works, Recital Hall, Cal State Fullerton.
- Mar. 4 - Trio for Clarinet, Violin and Piano repeat performance at the Roy O. Disney Music Hall, Cal Arts in Valencia.
- Mar. 5 - Trio for Clarinet, Violin and Piano repeat performance at Cal State University Stanislaus in Turlock, CA.
- Mar. 26 - Piano Suite No. 1: The Resonance of Childhood by Marc Lauritsen of Row Twelve Contemporary Music Ensemble, Cambridge, MA.
- Mar. 27 - Piano Suite No. 1: The Resonance of Childhood repeat performance in Harvard, MA.
- Nov. 29 - Shaded Gray by the Sunrise String Quartet, Harmony Regional Center in Maryland as part of the Capital Composers Alliance concert series.
- Mar. 14 - Premiere of Jeanette's Pier for string quartet as part of the Baltimore Composers Forum concert season, Baltimore, MD.
- Feb. 4 - Sonata for Clarinet and Piano by Jeanette Winsor, pno and the composer, cl; at Tidewater Community College, Virginia Beach Campus.
- Feb. 16 - Sonata for Clarinet and Piano repeat performance at the Portsmouth Campus.
- Feb. 18 - Sonata for Clarinet and Piano repeat performance at the Chesapeake Campus.
- Feb. 23 - Sonata for Clarinet and Piano repeat performance at the Norfolk Campus.
- Étude on 3-Tones (flute, CP#221; clarinet, CP#225) by Conners Publications.
- Sappho Songs (voice and piano, CP#190);
- Rhapsody II (flute and harp, CP#192; oboe and harp, CP#194),
- Lenna in Minneapolis (violin and autoharp, CP#226; flute/oboe and autoharp, CP#227; violin and strings, CP#228; flute/oboe and strings, CP#229),
- Judy Mostly at Home (violin and autoharp, CP#230; flute/oboe and autoharp, CP#231; violin and strings, CP#232; flute/oboe and strings, CP#233),
- Family Triptych (violin and autoharp, CP#DCC1; flute/oboe and autoharp, CP#DCC2; violin and strings, CP#DCC3; flute/oboe and strings, CP#DCC4),
- Transformations (oboe and chamber orchestra, CP#198; clarinet and chamber orchestra, CP#199) by Conners Publications.
- Three Songs (SATB choir and piano, CP#165) by Conners Publications.
Adam Renn Olenn:
- Four Choral Music by the China Found International Culture Company.
- Prologue for Aunt Valjean (brass quintet) by New Music.
Publisher Contact Information
China Found International Culture Company
No. 11, Lane 91, Chulin Rd
Yunho City, Taipei
503 Tahoe Street
Natchitoches, LA 71457-5718
9 Crestwood Drive
San Rafael, CA 94901
- Concerto for Violin, Clarinet and Orchestra by the Duo Verdehr.
- Music for Two by Lisa McCullough (oboe) and Ivan Lalev (cello).
- Quartet for Four Saxophones by the Athens Saxophone Quartet.
Stefania de Kenessey:
- Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra (Miltiade Nonoiu, bsn) on Thulassa Records, Romania.
- Sunburst by pianist Nanette Kaplan Solomon on a CD entitled Sunburst, a collection of solo piano works by seven American women composers, by Leonarda Records. Contact: www.leonarda.com.
Al Benner was awarded Second Place in the Music for a New Millennium Commissions from the Khachaturian-Leeds Society of America.
Both Speculum Musicae and Auros Group for New Music have chosen Veranderungen (violin and piano) by Joel Feigin as the winner of their 1998 competitions for composers. As part of its prize, Auros, a Boston-based ensemble, performed this dramatic 15-minute piece at Brandeis University on Jan. 30. The New York-based Speculum Musicae, will play the work at a later date.
Harry Hewitt received the award for Outstanding Achievement in Service to Philadelphia Composers by the Steering Committee of the Philadelphia Chapter of the American Composers Forum for his outstanding efforts as a promoter and producer of concerts featuring music by Philadelphia composers; for his work, along with his wife, Betty, as editor of Penn Sounds; for his service as director of Composer Services, Inc.;
for his extraordinarily prolific and musically rich career as a composer; and for his love of music and devotion to composers in Philadelphia.
Dan Pinkston was the winner of the American Prize for Five Miniatures for Brass Quintet at the American Romanian Team for the Arts Festival, Constanza, Romania.
Alex Shapiro's Trio for Clarinet, Violin and Piano won a prize in the Best Instrumental Music category from the Utah Composers Guild.
Jacqueline Jeeyoung Kim received a grant from the Jerome Foundation to write a percussion quartet piece for Ethos which will be performed at Merkin Hall and Queens College in May. She was also chosen to be a Finalist to write a piece for the Dale Warland Singers.
Gil Nagel performed his own Film/TV compositions on March 6th in Milwaukee, WI. He will also give workshops later this year as a Film/TV composer.
Daniel Robbins was entered into Who's Who in America 2000 (54th ed) from an invitation by Marquis Who's Who, New Providence, NJ. He also received ASCAP Standard Awards in 1997 and 1998.